Why risk it and move around on various planes, different hotels and different teams?
Stay privately and stay longer in the Maasai Mara, experience the 1,500 square kilometres of vastness, ecosystems, contrasts and unique Maasai culture, and immerse yourself in the Big 5 safari experiences – all with the same dedicated team (guide, spotter, waiter and room steward) that this safari offers.
This is a full circle safari experience. You stay longer, 7 or 10, 12 or 14 days and choose 3 different stays including:
- Under canvas in a private camp within the Maasai Mara Triangle close to the Mara river
- The award-winning and one of only eleven Global Ecosphere Retreats in the world, Cottar’s 1920s Camp in its own exclusive and private conservancy area in the south-east part of the Masai Mara
- Under canvas private camp in either the ‘Loita Forest of the Lost Child’ which holds spiritual significance for the Maasai people or close to the Mara river
A seamless low-risk safari, organized by Cottars Safari Service with accommodation chosen for its complete privacy. Away from the crowds, yet up close and personal with nature and led by some of the most experienced hand-selected guides in Africa.
Learn about ongoing conservation and community work including a pangolin project, vulture rehabilitation programme, anti-poaching teams and the only female ranger unit in the Maasai Mara. Connect and understand the Maasai culture and the Forest of the Lost Child. Understand more about the richest concentration of wildlife in Africa and of the greatness and interconnectedness of the Great Rift Valley ecosystems.
Suggested 7-14 Day Safari. Cottars personally curate the final itinerary in line with guest preferences.
Why book with Cottar’s Safari Service?
- 101 years of experience
- Personalized curated safaris
- 20% of net profits are invested in not for profit initiatives that support the Maasai Mara ecosystem, critical wildlife corridors and Maasai communities
- Locations and accommodation chosen because of their conservation, community and culture credentials
|Private Under Canvas Mobile Camp||Cottar’s 1920’s Camp|
|Accommodation / Location||Private mobile luxury camp. Set up just for your safari in two optional locations: Mara National Reserve and the Loita Forest
|Award-winning luxury camp and Private Bush Villa. South-East Maasai Mara on an exclusive private concession with a private airstrip|
|Conservation, Community, Culture Credentials||Pays conservation fees to Olderekesi conservancy||
Private Under Canvas Mobile Camp
No safari is complete without some time spent under canvas, in the style of the old explorers. This private mobile camp allows you to visit some of the most beautiful and remote wilderness areas in Kenya.
Designed from decades of experience, this mobile camp provides the ultimate in exclusivity whilst allowing for an intimate wildlife experience. Each of the traditional canvas tents have en-suite flush toilets and showers and are insect proof. Meals are taken in a central dining tent and are freshly prepared according to your group’s needs. a full crew of exceptional safari staff are there to look after your every need, whether it is preparing a beautifully laid dinner under the stars or a piping hot shower upon return from your afternoon’s adventures. For those who want to be kept active during their time at camp, activities can be arranged; from photographic workshops, to learning about wildlife, birdlife and culture, to a fun game of soccer or volleyball with the crew.
Cottar’s 1920s Camp
Vintage luxury at its best, the award-winning Cottar’s 1920s Camp has its own 7608 acre private conservancy and is situated one kilometre from the famous ‘seventh’ natural wonder of the world, the Masai Mara in Kenya and the Tanzania Serengeti game reserve. Owned and managed by the oldest established and continuing safari family in Africa it extends an era of luxury and quality and returns to the original spirit and essence of ‘safari’.
The Cottar family have been providing safaris for 101 years and focus on providing an authentic and individualized safari experience and supporting an ongoing legacy of wilderness, wildlife, comfort and security and honouring a balance between conservation, prosperous commerce, community and culture.
The 1920s Camp provides the romance of safari under cream canvas tents, the style of the bygone era of the twenties, while at the same time supplying the amenities required by today’s modern world travellers and professional guides whose qualifications are some of the highest in Africa.
The camp has nine tents in total (one unique honeymoon tent, four double tents and four family suites), all with en suite bathrooms. The family tents have living rooms with fireplaces. The entire camp is situated to ensure that tents are private and quiet whether for honeymooners or families with young children.
The camp has two main mess tent areas for fine dining, drinking, reading and relaxing, and an amazing pool and spa where guests can relax after a game drive. Guests can also enjoy a safari bath or safari shower, a genuinely unique way of bathing specifically set up in the savannah. The location of the camp provides easy access for day and night game drives to the Masai Mara game reserve and the conservancy, game walks, and cultural interactions with the Maasai community.
- 1 of only 11 Global Ecosphere Retreats of The Long Run
- Award-winning 1920s Camp and private Bush Villa
- Location: Cottar’s 1920s Camp and Bush Villa are located in the famous ‘seventh’ natural wonder of the world, the Maasai Mara
- Highest standards of guiding
- Enjoy a traditional canvas bush bath
- Experience the life of Letilet the Maasai hunter-gatherer and discover healing plants
- Multi-generation Family Run
- Engage in sustainability and conservation activities
- Global Ecosphere Retreat: Cottar’s 1920s Camp and Bush Villa is only one of 11 accredited Global Ecosphere Retreats (GER’s) within the world.
- Community Partnership: The Cottar family works in partnership with the Maasai community towards sustainable ecosystem management through conservation – supporting the 7,000-acre Olderkesi Wildlife Conservancy
- 101 years of authentic history, of the Cottar family on safari in Africa since 1919